Barrels on Main - 2018
Waunakee's 4th Annual Public Art Project
Proposal Deadline May 1, 2018
The Village of Waunakee, in partnership with Endres Mfg. Company (EMC) and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce, is happy to announce the 4th Annual Waunakee Public Art Project. Last year’s project, Trains on Main, was successful in continuing to build upon the creative and innovative identity of Waunakee.
Barrels on Main invites the community to rethink the typical art canvas as local artists lend their creative talents to transform 10 wooden barrels. Artists will receive a barrel with a steel base to use as the backdrop for sharing what Waunakee means to them. EMC will once again donate time, labor, and materials to assist in providing these barrels to the artists. A $250 stipend will be provided from the EMC Foundation to each artist or art team.
Those interested in applying must currently live or work within the school district limits of the Village of Waunakee, or be a graduate of the Waunakee Community School District. All of the finished barrels will be displayed together at the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce depot building for a portion of the summer. For further details and how you can apply, please see below.
This temporary, outdoor public art installation will be on view at the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce depot building from July 9 through September 14, 2018. Artists will receive a wooden barrel standing on a steel base (for measurements and exact shape, please see the photo to the right). The artist(s) are completely free to determine their theme, the materials, and general direction of the final product.
Finished barrels will be installed at the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce for a portion of the summer. For security concerns, the barrels will be chained to the depot to prevent damage or theft. A plaque decal on the base will include the artist’s information and credits, as well as information for EMC and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce.
After the barrels are removed from view, they will be auctioned off to the community at Wauktoberfest. Proceeds will support projects that benefit the community through the Waunakee Creative Economy Initiative and the EMC Foundation.
Barrels on Main Specifications:
- Continue to develop a sense of place and artistic identity within Waunakee and the surrounding regions.
- Build off of the success of last year’s project and make public art a point of interest for the Village of Waunakee.
- Strengthen the relationship between Waunakee businesses and citizens through art and creativity.
- Promote the downtown area through commerce, partnerships, and increased foot traffic.
- The artist must live or work within the limits of the Waunakee Community School District, or be a graduate of the Waunakee Community High School.
- The call is open to professional/amateur/hobby artists and students of all ages.
- Art teams are eligible for the project; however, a team leader must be selected and clearly identified in the application materials.
- The stipend must be shared with any team members.
- Previous public art experience is not necessary. All who are interested are encouraged to apply.
Selection Process and Criteria:
A selection panel will review the submissions and select the 10 recipients of barrels based on a list of pre-determined criteria. The selection criteria will include:
- Expression or some form of a theme
- Creativity and innovative thinking shown in enhancing the simple barrels
- Integration of final piece into setting (Downtown Waunakee, Main Street, Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot)
- Clarity of vision, organization, and realistic completion expectations
- Artistic merit
Each artist or team of artists will be given a $250 stipend for use throughout the project. This includes coverage including, but not limited to: supplies, transportation, studio overhead, and more. Any expenses exceeding $250 are the responsibility of the artist to cover. Stipends are generously provided by EMC and the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a proposal via email* to: email@example.com with “Waunakee Barrels on Main” in the subject line.
- Full artist contact information: name, email, telephone, and address
- For a team, please include this information for each team member and clearly indicate who the team leader will be
- One page resume or biography
- Links to artist’s website, or images of past works, if applicable
- If submitting images, please format as JPEGs and attach to the email
- One to two page proposal for your barrel. Explain why you are interested in participating and what you would do with a barrel and why. The artist is free to determine theme, composition, and materials.
- All designs must be weatherproof. The barrels will be outside rain or shine, 24 hours per day. Please be sure to explain the weatherproofing efforts that you will take or the elements in your design that will ensure durability in all conditions.
*Please no mailed submissions
Proposal Deadline: May 1, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Week of May 7: Selection Committee meets, accepted artists will be notified
Friday, May 18: Barrels and stipends are picked up/distributed by/to the artists from Endres Mfg. Company
Friday, July 6: Completed barrels are due to the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot
Monday, July 9: Barrels go on display at Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot
Tuesday, July 10 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.: Artist Reception for Barrels on Main, to be held at the Waunakee Area Chamber of Commerce Depot
Sunday, September 16: WauktoberFest auction of Barrels on Main art pieces